Computer Programming Tutoring
I offer Computer Programming tutoring services using the Video-Game making program GameMaker. Using GameMaker to teach programming keeps students far more engaged than abstract programming classes. Rather than learning about how to make a text-input program which calculates the diameter of a pizza, students learn all the same skills and more through programming a computer game. The game they program provides a consistent, real-world example for them to see how programming skills are applied.
The course I have created combines a University programming class, a High-school programming class, and my own personal experience in creating games.
The Learning Journey
- Over 13 years of programming computer games
- 11 years as an Instructor / Director at AfterFour (Children's Technology Camp)
- Graduate of St. Michael's College School
- University class in C++ Programming
- 2 Certificates in C# programming:
- 8 lesson Intro to Programming
- Further lessons available covering advanced programming techniques!
- Lessons are personalized for each student to ensure more time is spent on subjects where they need the most help
- Lesson length: 1 - 2.5 hours (4 hour double-lessons available on weekends)
- Lesson frequency: 1 / week or bi-weekly
- Rate: $30 / hour
- No Travel Necessary: All Lessons are conducted at your place of residence. I will bring any / all materials and necessary technology.
The following concepts are taught over the Intro to Programming class:
- Code / Naming Conventions
- Variables: Initialization, Scope
- Relative Assignment
- Game Object Manipulation
- If / else statements
- Logical Operators: And / Or
- Functions (methods): Arguments
- Drawing Images and Text
- Keyboard / Mouse Input
- Strings and Text Handling
- And more!
Please get in touch if you would like any other information about the tutoring service: